Updated: May 24, 2019
1 cup (240 ml) plant based milk
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp.(80ml) lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup (60grams) unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 1/2 tbsp. (50 ml) walnut oil
2 1/3 cups (280 grams) whole spelt flour
1/3 cup (75 grams) corn starch
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp pink Himalaya salt
1/3 cup (75 grams)brown sugar
300 grams blueberries
120 grams agave syrup
1tbsp lemon juice
2tbsp chai seeds
100 grams blueberries
1 3/4 cups (250grams) cashews soaked (at least 4 hours or overnight)
1/2 cup (125ml) plant based milk
1/2 cup (100grams) coconut cream
3tbsp agave syrup
4tbsp lemon juice
1tsp vanilla essence
2tbsp walnut oil
1. Best to start with the frosting to allow it to set in the fridge whilst you make the cake.
2. Drain and rinse the cashews and place them in a food processor together with the other ingredients.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/175C
2. Grease with walnut oil and flour a 3 5" (12.5 cm) inch baking pan/ or 1 7" (16cm) inch pan.
3. In a small bowl, add milk and lemon juice. Stir well and set aside for ten minutes to make buttermilk.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, corn starch, light brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder, salt and lemon juice.
5. Add the applesauce, buttermilk, oil and vanilla essence. Whisk to combine but don't overmix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 35 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
7. Leave in the cake pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out and leave to cool completely for at least an hour.
8. Cut horizontally into 2 or 3 layers.
1. Add the blueberries, agave, lemon juice into a medium size pan set over high heat.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to cook for 8-10 minutes or until the jam has reduced and thickened by a third.
3. Remove from the heat, add the chia seeds and let it cool.
4. Fold in the remaining 100 grams of blueberries to add more texture. The mixture should thicken as it cools.
Assemble for the cake:
1. Place the first cake layer on a plate.
2. With a piping bag, pipe a circle of frosting on the outer part of the cake.
3. Spread 3 tbsp. of the blueberry jam in the center.
4. Add the second cake layer and proceed the same way.
5. Lightly frost the outside with the remaining lemon frosting.