200 grams light brown sugar
100 grams walnut oil
1 tsp cardamom, ground
2 tsp vanilla essence
300 ml unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
300 grams spelt flour
2 tsp (8g) baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
400 grams unsweetened coconut yogurt
2 tbsp unsweetened cashew butter
2 tbsp agave
2 tbsp coconut cream
3 tbsp homemade strawberry jam
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp cardamom, ground
170 grams chopped strawberries (about 10)
Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
1. Grease and flour two 7-inch round cake pans.
2. In a small bowl, pour in the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt.
4. In a bowl of a food processor, add sugar and softened coconut oil. Beat until fluffy, 1 minute. Slowly add milk and vanilla; beat on low speed until well-incorporated.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold gently until just combined. Do not over-mix.
6. Divide the batter among the 2 prepared cake pans. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. The sponges will be lightly browned and beginning to pull away from the sides.
7. Remove and cool 10 minutes before turning the cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely
1. In a medium bowl, add cashew butter, coconut cream, strawberry jam and agave and stir to combine.
2. Gently fold in the coconut yogurt. Don’t over mix.
3. Place the filling in the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hour.
Assembly the cake:
1. Place the first sponge cake over a plate.
2. Add 2 tbsp of strawberry filling and 2 tbsp of chopped strawberries. Cover with the second sponge cake.
3. Garnish with fresh strawberries and coconut chips.