Ingredients for Cheese Sauce:
1 cup water
2 cups peeled diced potatoes
1/2 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons miso
1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Method for Cheese Sauce:
1. Place water and potatoes in a medium-size saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until potatoes are soft.
2. Pour the potatoes and water into a food processor. Add cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, miso, salt, garlic and onion powder. Blend until smooth.
3. Taste and, if necessary, season with additional lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and/or onion powder.
Ingredients for Black Bean Burger
3/4 cup Cheese Sauce - see above - refrigerated for at least 2 hours
1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
1/2 cup cooked or canned black beans
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Method for Bean Burger:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stir together 3/4 cup chilled Cheese sauce, onions, black beans, corn, bell pepper, bread crumbs, cilantro, chili powder if using, and salt. If the mixture is not holding together, add up to 1/4 cup additional cheese sauce.
3. Form six 1/2-inch-thick- patties. Place on lined baking sheet.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping burger after 20 minutes.
5. Top with your favorite ingredients.