4 tsp ground flaxseed
1 cup (250g) whole raw almonds
3/4 cup (175g) whole spelt flour, sifted
1/2 cup (125g) pure cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup (125g plus 60g) non-dairy chocolate chips
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. (90ml) coconut oil
1 cup (250g) raw light brown sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1/2 cup (125g) sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Lightly oil a 9-inch square cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseed with 3 tbsp. (45ml) warm water and set aside.
3. In a food processor, blend the almonds into a meal/flour. Sift out any large pieces. Transfer to a big bowl. Whisk together the ground almonds, whole spelt flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt 1/ cup (125g) of the chocolate chips and coconut oil over low heat. When two-thirds of the chips have melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir until smooth. Stir in the flaxseed mixture, sugar, almond milk, and vanilla until combined.
5. Pour the chocolate mixture over the ground almond mixture and stir well until there is no flour on the bottom of the bowl. Fold in the sliced almonds, and the remaining chocolate chips.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and place a piece of parchment on top. Press down on the parchment paper with your hands to spread out the batter. Use a pastry roller to even it out.
7. Bake for28 minutes. Let the brownies cool in the pan for 90 minutes. Do not remove the brownies until they are completely cool or they will crumble. After cooling, slice the brownies into squares and enjoy with a glass of unsweetened chilled coconut milk.